There’s nothing worse than driving along the highway when all of a sudden your car slows to a stop or you get a flat tire. With the help of mobile phones, car breakdowns are more of an inconvenience rather than a real danger. You can be taken out of the situation in a matter of a couple of hours with a call for roadside assistance. The only problem is that cell service is not always reliable and technology can let us down, so it’s a good idea to have some items in your car at all times.
Cool Things to Have in Your Car
1. Spare tire, tire iron and carjack. New cars already have these but you need to know how to use them. Know how to change a tire as flat tires are the biggest reasons for breakdowns and it can be dangerous if you aren’t sure how to do it.
2. Jumper cables. Many car owners have them in their cars but have no idea how to use them. Make sure you learn how to use them as incorrect use can cause damage.
3. Sleeping bag or a blanket. Nights can cool off and in the winter and you will be glad to have one of these items to stay warm as you wait for help to arrive.
4. Have a charger in your car for your cell phone. A charged phone is the best way to get out of a roadside breakdown and being able to call for help is reassuring. Having a portable charger that is charged is even better should you have a dead battery.
5. Drinking water. Staying hydrated is just as important as staying warm so keep extra water in your car.
6. Emergency lighting. Breakdowns are going to happen at all times of the day. Having reflectors or road flares will keep you safe and visible to oncoming traffic as you wait for help. Have a flashlight with extra batteries too. You will be glad for the extra light when changing a flat tire after dark.
7. First aid kit. Having a first aid kit can actually save your life in an emergency, so make sure you have one.
8. Non-perishable food. Keeping your energy up is important so have a stash of cereal bars, granola, nuts and dried food in your car.
Summer & Winter Survival Car Kit
In the winter months you should also add a few extra items to your car. Having a snow brush or ice scraper will help you keep ice off the windshield and snow off the car. A small shovel will be useful to dig yourself out of snow. Adding sand, salt or kitty litter will help you get out of a bind should your tires spin each time you try and get anywhere. If a motorist should stop by that may be able to pull you out, a tow rope will be of great help. In the summer you should have sunscreen, a wide-brimmed hat and bug spray with you. You never know how long you will have to wait and you should also think about a small pop up shelter to keep your family cool outside the vehicle.
Roadside Assistance in Wellington, Boca Raton, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter & Loxahatchee, Florida
Being prepared for a breakdown will have you less panicked when your car rumbles to a stop on the highway. If you require help, you can contact Affordable Towing & Junk Cars for immediate assistance!